Adventures in Grandmotherhood

We went to Ohio this weekend to help the son and daughter-in-law as they do some work on their house.  The son and his dad were in the basement.  The daughter-in-law was at class (she’s studying to be a nurse).  My job?  The grandsons, ages 5 and 7.

They had been pretty good all day, but I could tell they were tired of being cooped up and, truth be told, I wanted to get them away from the Wii and the video games.  (They were a lot more fun when they wanted to play with me), so, I told them I would take them shopping, but we weren’t going to buy anything.  My thought was that it was too cold for them to play outside and too cold for me to walk, and I would, at least,  get a little bit of exercise walking through the store.  They were up for it.  I gave them the choice of Wal-Mart or Meijer.  I would have preferred a mall, but there is no mall close to their house.

They wanted Wal-Mart, so that’s where we headed.  I gave my usual lectures before we entered.  Crying?  We’d leave.  Run away from me?  We’d leave.  Et cetera, et cetera.  They got it.   And we had a pretty good time.

Then came the toy department.

The boys were stuck  on one aisle.  They wanted to hula with the hula hoops, and other kids were doing it, so…I let them.

Wal-Mart must hate grandmothers like me.

There were foam swords in the same aisle.  We stopped for a sword fight.  The boys moved politely when someone came down the aisle.

There were bouncy balls.  I let them bounce until RJ noticed that one of them could bounce 17 feet in the air, according to the label, and wound up to demonstrate.

I caught that ball just in time.  Whew!

There were cars on that aisle with buttons for sirens which screamed to the boys because, of course, RJ can read the invitation that says “try me” on each and every label.  There were Tonka toys like their daddy played with, including a fork lift with a lift that really went up and down.  There were…

Well.  You get the picture.

I don’t think I am quite as patient as I was when I was younger because, when we got to the end of that aisle, the boys were ready to go down another and I stopped them.

I told them I wanted to leave the store while I still liked them.

And they got it.

We left without incident and went to Speedway for a treat before returning home.  And we had a lot of fun.  But my advice to any grandmas out there who are thinking of investigating the toy aisle anywhere with their grandchildren is to keep away from the caffeine first.  Unless, of course, you are a much calmer grandma than I am. 🙂


2 Responses to “Adventures in Grandmotherhood”

  1. 1 writeathome January 31, 2010 at 9:36 pm

    Hi Becky,

    I was just wondering if you meant that the grandmother should be kept away from caffeine or the grandchildren. 🙂

    Sounds like you had a good time with the grandkids. I think you’re a brave woman to go down any toy aisle.

    • 2 Becky January 31, 2010 at 10:14 pm

      We did have fun. When I put them to bed, Tony was telling RJ and me a story that involved snakes, and he wanted us to hiss every time he said snakes. We ended up rolling on the floor.

      My son ended up calling me downstairs. By that time I had RJ in bed, but he told me he called me so that they would go to sleep. I admitted I was just having too much fun playing with them. And I hung my head in shame.

      Sorta. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

January 2010
« Dec   Feb »

%d bloggers like this: